Unplugging

Today I am grateful for a clear and cool morning and the time to sit and watch the sun come up.

I appreciated the perspective I regained this week thanks to forgetting my work laptop in my office Thursday when I left for the day. Just having that distance between us-my work computer and I-was a good detaching. (It was right where I left it when I got to work Friday, but I was at a different place.)

That feeling stuck with me and I thought of the days before laptops and cell phones and 24/7 accessibility. There are certainly things I appreciate about modern conveniences-I typed part of the draft of this post on my phone while I waited for my son Sam after his football game. 

But one thing I don't care for is the way these modern conveniences make some things too easy, which can make some other things too hard. It is too easy to get caught up in checking one more email, looking at a couple more Facebook posts, responding now so I won't forget...

Which can make it too hard, for me anyway, to unwind, unplug, relax, just breathe, take in all of my surroundings instead of just a screen.

"Everything in moderation" remains a good guide. We all probably know people who are plugged in excessively and obsessively. If they don't literally look bug-eyed, their brains may be feeling and acting so.

I don't want to be one of those people. I will do some intentional unplugging today and encourage you to do the same. Unplug from devices, plug into the beauty and awe of the present moment. 

Comments