Experience Counts

Today I am grateful for my job and other opportunities to be of service to others.

Experience: insights and awareness garnered from involvement and participation in events and happenings. Life is full of experiences that allow us the opportunity to gain experience. Our jobs are one place this can certainly be true. I appreciate the years I have been first a teacher and now a school counselor. After ten years of teaching, I am now in my 18th year as a school counselor.

As a classroom teacher I had some control over the events in my room during class periods. Not total control for sure, but some level of predictability. That is not the case in the counseling office. No two days are alike.  That both invigorates and exhausts me.  And then there are the days that take us to "Are you kidding me?" status.  One thing after another. One situation after another. One follow-up after another. We had a day like that yesterday. In the end, things were handled well and communication was good. That is the best we can hope for.

Experience has taught me that those kind of days come along, at work, at home, and in other areas of our lives. They present some challenges, but also opportunities for commiseration, humor, and liberal application of acceptance and faith.

Experience counts. Today I will pay attention to the moments and hours as I experience them.

Comments