Just One More

Today I am grateful for people to whom I can vent and feel safe in doing so. I am also grateful for the chance to explore new technology and applications (new to me anyway).

Some of my recovery friends were discussing overthinking and overdoing recently. That resonates with me because I have been there and done that, and I continue to do so. That is why my disease requires daily work, and why habitual gratitude practice is so helpful. It creates pauses in the overthinking and overdoing. And it helps me prioritize what I need to do, which means less spinning.

The discussion inspired this poem:

Just One More
Just one more                          
Drink
Pill
Hit
Bite
Fix

Destructive
Shaming
Deadly

Just one more
Task
Chore
To-do
Should

Just as
Destructive
Shaming
Deadly

There are
Many ways
To feed
Addiction—
The beast
That is never
Satisfied

Most are
Frowned upon
Some are culturally
Sanctioned

They all
Stem from
Fear
Ego
Control
Lack of faith

And they all
Kill

Whether they
Kill
Todays joy
Or our
Very selves                  

LV 8/30/15

Right-sized ego. Faith with which to face the fear. Letting go of what I can't control and focusing on what I can-simply my own attitude and actions. These are the things that will help me find today's joy. Onward!  

Comments

  1. So true. I wish I didn't understand what you are saying.
    Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I am glad you understand . . . it means I am not alone. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment