Only in the Present-A Reminder from Abraham Maslow

Today I am grateful for reminders of what I can control (my own attitude and actions) and what I can't (everything and everyone else). I am also grateful for legs and arms that work.

Abraham Maslow was one of the founders of humanistic psychology and is well-known for his "Maslow's hierarchy of needs."  The hierarchy starts with our most basic human needs for survival and is topped off by self-actualization.  I appreciated studying his work when I was taking various college courses.

My journey to self-actualization continues, but I can see it from here at least. I am very grateful that my physical needs, my need for safety and security, as well as love, belonging, and acceptance are solid. To became all that I can be is still unfolding, but I appreciate each day's opportunities.

In this quote below, Maslow sums up what that daily opportunity means:

"I can feel guilty about the past, apprehensive about the future, but only in the present can I act. 
The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness."

Here and now. Fully present. Mindfulness makes for a good moment, which leads to a good hour, which leads to a good day. Am I there 100% of the time?  No. I never will be. But I am inspired and motivated to work to be there more often. Not only does my mental wellness benefit, my overall wellness does.

Here and now. Fully present. 

Comments