Quotes

Today I am grateful for warm clothes, a hot cup of coffee, and the rising sun.

I was looking at my A-Z list yesterday and realized that I had forgotten about "Q."  I hadn't really forgotten, I already had some ideas for "q" words. I just forgot that "Q" comes after "P" and before "R."

So let's reel back to the letter "Q" and talk about QUOTES. Many quotes from many writers are littered throughout the 900-plus blog posts you can read here. There are even some of my own here. How to pick one quote to focus on in a post about quotes?

This is the one that comes to mind: "If it is to be, it is up to me." It is attributed to William H. Johnsen, though I couldn't find much information at all about Mr. Johnsen.

Interestingly, the quote is made up entirely of two-letter words. I am a fan of bigger, more complicated words. They seem more sophisticated and weighty. But this short quote full of short words is sophisticated and weighty in itself.

"If it is to be, it is up to me." I have to take the actions, do the next right thing. I am the only one who controls my attitude and actions. If I am going to change, I have to lead the way for myself. Pretty profound stuff if you ask me. Though I know today that I do better with help from a Higher Power and other supportive people, I must do the legwork.

When I was younger, I filled notebooks with quotes I came across. My love of words and writing started early. One of the most clever quotes I have come across is this one:



She also is quoted as saying:
"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it." 

"Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often."

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one
I've never tried before." 

I am not some big Mae West fan, but I must say the gal had some gumption. She was ahead of her time in some respects. I like her humor and I appreciate that she wasn't afraid to say what was on her mind.

Do I have the courage to say what's on my mind? Mae West and I have different topics of focus, but I hope I share the courage to speak my mind. And not just my mind, but also my heart and soul.

Comments

  1. Personally I like Mae West quotes. Excellent collection about gratitude quotes. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment