Somebody to Love

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy and the 16 years over which our relationship has grown and evolved.

Sometimes a wave of gratitude hits me when I wasn't even looking for it. The more I practice gratitude and the more I am aware of the gifts surrounding me, the more this seems to happen out of the blue. Yesterday it happened when I heard a song on the radio in my car. That song was Queen's "Somebody to Love."  Listen to it on YouTube here.

Not only do I appreciate plenty of Queen's music, I appreciated the gratitude this particular song sparked yesterday. I thought of my husband Darcy, how solid our marriage is, how much I love him, how much my life has changed and grown since we met in November of 1997. A wave of gratitude hit.

I met Darcy when I was 32. I hadn't given up on finding the love of my life, but I wasn't holding my breath either. In the weeks or months prior to meeting Darcy, I remember being out for breakfast with my friend Ellie. She pointed out a saying on a perpetual calendar in the restaurant we were in. The saying was "God's delays aren't necessarily God's denials." She was trying to offer encouragement and hope. It turns out it was true for me. And I think Darcy would agree that we both met when we were meant to. We had each been through some life experiences that had brought us to a healthier place, more ready for a relationship.

It has worked out well for the two of us. Our lives and our marriage aren't perfect. Whose is? But we do well together in so many aspects and we have a true partnership. We have passion and compassion, shared likes and concerns, common goals.

I always had love in my life. I just didn't always recognize it or accept it. Family and friends showed me love and support, even when I was distant and sick with alcoholism. But a spouse, a marriage is a different kind of love.

I am deeply blessed to have found somebody to love in Darcy. My life has changed and blossomed in so many ways since that night 16 years ago.


Comments