Faith

Today I am grateful for a phone conversation with my sister Ann and for spiritual growth that happens when I put daily work into recovery from my daily disease of alcoholism.

That brings me to today's word: faith. There are many definitions for faith. Two that I like are:
-strong belief or trust in someone or something
-belief that is not based on proof

To me, faith is about not feeling alone in facing what can sometimes be a harsh reality. It is about spirituality, not religion. But religious practice can help deepen faith and I know that it does for many people. Faith and spirituality are about relating to a source of power beyond myself. That someone or something some call God or Higher Power, but can go by any name you like. It's about a personal relationship, not an institutional one. When I trust that source of power to help guide my thoughts and actions, that is faith.

These are only my thoughts and opinions, but I can tell you that over 24 years of recovery I have learned more about faith than I ever did prior to that. I have had many teachers-some human, some life experiences-and for that I am truly grateful. The exciting and motivating part for me is that I see no end to what I can learn, how I can grow in terms of faith.

The second definition I mention above is likely referring to proof that is scientific, that can be put in numbers and shown on charts. That kind of proof of faith may be hard to come by, but I have ample proof in my own life that faith exists, that I am not alone. There is not space here to talk about the people I have met, the wisdom that has been shared, the God-made coincidences that have happened, the strength that was given when I had none. That's my proof.

In closing today, one of my favorite lines about faith: "Faith without works is dead." It's from the Bible, but I believe is universally applicable. My faith can only broaden and deepen when I take actions. Actions like keeping a gratitude journal. Actions like calling a friend in need. Actions like prayer on my knees. Actions like an early morning run. Actions like sharing "I love yous."

What actions help you grow in faith?

Comments