Assuage

Today I am grateful for the food, clothing, and shelter that my family and I have. I too often take such things for granted.

Today's word is assuage. It is a word that has always intrigued me, but I don't use it often. That may explain why I have been pronouncing it wrong. To hear the correct pronunciation, click here.

Assuage has these main definitions:
-to lessen the intensity of (something that pains or distresses): ease
-pacify, quiet
-to put an end to by satisfying: appease, quench

The first definition is the one I am most familiar with. I wish I could assuage my sister's pain and grief as her husband slips away with Lewy Body Dementia. I can only be a source of support via phone calls and emails, and I will continue to do so.

That is just one example of how I can try to be a good family member, friend, listener, and in the process possibly help assuage another's pain. (And in my own home, remembering to keep my mouth shut when opening may amplify hurt, not assuage it.)

I have learned, in part, to ease my own pain and frustration when I start to spin too fast through my day. I slow down. I remember my priorities. I ask myself: "How important is it really?"

My heart and soul, which used to be both assuaged and assaulted by alcohol and negative thinking, is now quieted through prayer, meditation, active gratitude practice.

And the hungry writer in me, who strives for more time and energy to put into my writing, has been assuaged by this very blog. Daily focus for my gratitude and my writing. Spiritual thirst quenched.

What does assuage bring to your mind today? How does that tie in with gratitude?

Comments