Amplify

Today I am grateful for extra energy yesterday afternoon and evening to give to holiday preparations like shopping, getting cards and letters out, and making treats. I am also grateful to help at our church today for a special holiday outreach project.

Today's word is amplify: to increase, strengthen, add to. My first recollection of that word growing up is when people would talk about good amplifiers for their stereo systems. I do like my music loud at times, especially when I am alone in my car, or if a certain song hits me at the same time as a certain emotion. The volume amplifies the listening experience for me. I appreciate the technology that now creates great sound in small packages. No more big speakers needed, though they used to double as little table tops.

A funny college memory I recall: During our sophomore year, my roommate Deb had a couple such speakers in our dorm room. I don't remember what she had put on top of one of them, but one evening we were playing Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It" a bit too loud with some of our other friends down the hall. The speaker shook enough to knock the item off. That was the kind of song that amplified the fun when shared in a rowdy group setting.

I was thinking of amplify this morning as I walked Oliver. We had gotten a dusting of fresh snow overnight. The snow amplified the light in the darkness and decreased the sound. It made for a nice early morning walk.

I am so blessed today to have so many things that amplify my life experiences on a daily basis and bring me more happiness and contentment. Gratitude practice allows me to notice the amplifiers, appreciate them, human and other, and cherish them for the gifts they are.

Amplify your level of attention today and see what you notice. I'll do the same.

Comments