Coincidence

Today I am grateful for our dog Oliver and his high cuteness factor after a visit to the groomer. I am also grateful for my family, near and far.

Coincidence is today's word. I was subbing at school the other day and saw this at a teacher's desk:

"Listen & Silent have the same letters. Coincidence?"

I had never seen that before. It really struck me. You can't be a good listener if you can't be silent. That applies to conversations with other people. But for me, it also applies to my conversations with my Higher Power. As I meditate, I try to remain silent so I can hear what comes through. It is a skill I struggle with, but I am making progress. Just slowing down and trying to be quiet is a good start.

I am grateful to be someone others feel they can talk to. I like listening. I have learned to be patient in the listening. So many times, we want to jump in and suggest something or offer advice. Often, the other person simply wants a caring ear. They will reach their own answers as they talk it through.I try not to try too hard when I listen. I am also grateful that I have a job that allows me to hone and practice my listening skills.

Everyone deserves to be heard, to have a true listener. There is a quote from Sue Atchley Ebaugh that reads: "The greatest gift we can give one another is rapt attention to one another's existence." I love that. That is true listening, and it requires more than ears.

As coincidences go, I am grateful for the many small and big ones in my life. It may have been a phone call just when I needed it, a song on the radio that made me laugh or tear-up, meeting someone new. I like to call them GMC's--God-made coincidences. I heard that from a friend in recovery. GMC's give me faith and hope, and those are gifts.

What coincidences come to your mind today?

I will be taking a blog break and be back next week. Enjoy the holiday time.

Comments