Brevity

Today I am grateful for phone conversations and text messages to keep me connected with friends and family. I am also grateful for my grandma's chocolate star cookie recipe.

Today's word is brevity. Shortness of duration. Conciseness of expression.

I could use more brevity at times. In my blog posts. In my other writings. Regarding my to-do list.I strive for brevity in my forays into stinking thinking, self-pity, and lack of faith. I can't seem to avoid such forays entirely, but I don't have to wallow in them anymore.

It doesn't take but a few seconds to consider a couple of things to be grateful for each day. That is really all it takes to start changing one's perspective. Daily gratitude practice and daily brevity can be compatible. On some days, there is more to say and that's okay. On other days, short is fine.

If you are feeling at all like I am today, short is good. Both time and energy are limited because of the many directions I am feeling pulled in.

So I will just leave it at this, borrowing some words from Brother David Steindl-Rast:

Gratefulness, even in small doses, is the ticket to the great fullness of life.



Comments