Extemporaneous

Today I am grateful for the wisdom others in recovery share with me. I am also grateful for a more relaxed pace during the holiday break.

Today's word is a mouthful: extemporaneous. It is most often defined as a speech (or other action) delivered with little preparation; impromptu. One part of the definition better fits me and what I aspire to-a speech prepared in advance but delivered without notes or text. I don't consider myself a good speaker, but I will concede to improving over the years.

I appreciate the speech class I took in college. I think it was my sophomore year. It was a great class to push me to be more comfortable speaking in front of others. I grew up shy and introverted. Teaching for ten years required public speaking, so I got plenty of practice. I lacked confidence, however, and would sometimes shut my classroom door so those passing by wouldn't hear my attempts to interest my students in the subject of the day.

I appreciate the opportunities I have had in my current job to give presentations from time to time, particularly to my colleagues. A roomful full of educators can be a tough audience. It's been a good confidence booster for me. I also appreciate more recent opportunities to speak on the topic of gratitude to a couple different audiences.

If I am responsible for a presentation, I often will spend hours preparing for it and practicing it. That is what my comfort level is. That is what helps me go in feeling ready. But I always have my notes with me. Like a security blanket.

I can say that I have gained confidence and experience as a public speaker, but my extemporaneous skills are still developing. I am grateful for the chances I have to hone such skills, grateful for the chance to speak to others about things I have a passion for.

If asked to give an impromptu speech, I would pick gratitude or running as inspirational topics to me.What would you pick?

Comments