Savor

Today I am grateful for a conversation with my friend Jill yesterday and for our dog Oliver and his personality. He makes me smile daily.

I was reminded yesterday, from some of my recovery friends, how simple and yet how important it is to savor the little things as much as the big. Maybe even moreso. The big things to savor don't come along every day. The little things are in ample abundance at all times. Laughter among friends. The beauty of ice crystals on tree branches. Being able to painlessly put one foot in front of the other.

Revel. Relish. Savor. The marathon experience is behind us now for another year. The reveling is winding down. I will continue to relish and savor the big picture: Darcy and I have been able to run and complete 11 full marathons. But I will do more relishing and savoring of the little things: being able to get back to running when my ribs and muscles feel better, being able to get in and out of my own bed without pain, sitting in the recliner enjoying our Christmas tree, conversations with friends.

Savoring and gratitude practice go hand in hand. It is referenced in articles found at the Greater Good Science Center's website, including this one by social psychologist Fred Bryant. The GGSC at the University of California, Berkeley is a great repository of information and suggestions regarding gratitude and other topics such as alturism, compasssion, empathy, forgiveness, happiness, and mindfulness. Start here to find out more.

My plan for the day today? Seize the moments, then savor them. Smell the coffee. Really smell it.Hear the noises in the gym where Sam will be wrestling. Really hear them.Feel the brisk, cold air. Really feel it. Taste the food I am blessed to have.Really taste it. See the good in the world. Really see it.

Comments