Keep Priorities Straight (Point #13)

Today I am grateful for the beauty of a fresh snowfall and the physical capabilities to shovel it off of our driveway. I am grateful for my family and friends.

I am thinking of my friend Beth and her family today. Her father's funeral is this morning. I was hoping to be there, but that winter beauty also created driving hazards. Sending thoughts, prayers, and hugs your way Beth.

Point of clarity #13 is so very important, and I wish I would have fully learned that importance before I was in my early forties, but that's what it took. Time and a cancer diagnosis.

Point of clarity #13: "Three words . . . keep priorities straight."

I focused on this in a post from May 15, 2012 as well. It was titled "1-5, #6" and you can read it here.

I have been slowly learning about keeping priorities straight since I began my recovery from alcoholism. If I don't keep recovery and spirituality as key focal points in my life, I will lose recovery and then my priority could become a bottle again and it would likely kill me.

I learned more about priorities when I got married and became a stepmother to two children. Even moreso when our own son was born.

But for me, it did take a cancer diagnosis to really firm up this idea. Not so much what my priorities are, but that they deserve my first energy and focus. I just heard a speaker, talking to parents of teens about stress management, that she often hears people talk about how they don't have enough time. That is not the problem. Everyone on the planet has the same amount of time in a day. The problem is not knowing and honoring our priorities, not being able to say no to some things so that our main focus areas get the time they need.

On a daily basis, remembering my priorities helps me decide what to do next, instead of getting bogged down in that to-do list that never gets done.

Recovery/faith, family, friends, writing, and running are my priorities. What are yours?

Comments