Great Teachers (Point #15)

Today I am grateful for the arrival of Ellaina, the first child of my niece Stacy and her husband Drew.What a joy to think about being a brand new parent and the total sense of amazement that comes with it. I am also grateful for humor. It helps me lighten up when I get wound too tight.

Point of clarity #15: Children and pets are great teachers.

Sam was six when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Emily was 13 and Arthur 17. Kids may not say much, but they are thinking more than we realize. During the thick of my surgeries and chemo, we tried to give the kids enough information to help them understand what I was going through, age appropriately. We answered their questions. We kept a routine around the house and in our lives as much as we could, because that helps kids keep a sense of stability. It helped Darcy and I as well.

In return, Sam especially, taught me about resilience. About laughter always being possible. About the little things really mattering. Reading a bedtime story. Playing catch. About priorities. Most days I was a mom first and a BC patient second. That helped me too.

Emily and Arthur helped remind me that my cancer didn't need to be front and center all the time.They didn't say much, but I know it scared them more than Sam in ways because they could fully grasp what it meant to have cancer. But all three children helped me to consider what it might be like through their eyes. Sam didn't need the details, he needed mom to tuck him in at night. I tried to look at things from their perspective then and I still do now. It helps.

We only have one pet. His name is Oliver and he's an apricot-colored cockapoo. He converted me to a pet person in no time. Read about the timing of his arrival in our lives here. See him in my profile picture. Oliver and my post-cancer self grew up together, so he has taught me plenty.

Here are just a few of those lessons:
*Taking daily walks is a great way to follow the seasonal changes.
*If there's no one around to play with, just take a nap.
*Stretch when you get up.
*Take care of your basic needs first.
*Keep your mind clear.
*Always be happy to see your loved ones.
*Personality and cuteness aren't just for humans.

And the list could continue, but I wouldn't want it to go to his head. He already has us wrapped around his paw.

What can we learn from our children and pets today? Have a good day!

Comments