UPPERCASE WOW, lowercase wow!

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy, our communication level, and our levels of communication. He is a gift in my life and I don't want to forget that.

I am wrapping up my own look at Anne Lamott's book, Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers, today with consideration of what she calls uppercase and lowercase wows.

She talks about wows coming in all shapes and sizes, just like us. Your uppercase and lowercase wows may be different than mine. Case is in the eye of the beholder.

Some of my uppercase wows:
*Denali National Park and Rocky Mountain National Park
*crossing the finish line of each of my 10 marathons (especially the three I  have finished
beside my husband)
*true love
*sobriety
*long-term friendships
*walking along an ocean beach
*the Oregon Coast
*writing inspiration that picks me up and carries me away
*giving birth
*frost or new snowfall clinging to trees

Some of my lowercase wows:
*a warm bed
*my favorite pair of jeans
*a shower after a workout
*sunrises and sunsets
*the simple act of putting pen to paper
*the smell of fresh-cut hay or grass
*an ice cold drink of water on a hot day
*learning from my son and stepchildren

My list could go on and on. I don't expect uppercase wows. That is what makes them special. But my gratitude practice has me more aware of my lowercase wows on a daily basis. I will keep "help, thanks, and wow" in mind as I proceed through my day. I will apply light and air as spiritual antibiotics when I am feeling less than grateful.
Thanks Anne Lamott!

Comments