H20, Lots of H20 (Point #12)

Today I am grateful to have finished the half marathon yesterday and to put some 9-minute miles together later in the run. (That may not be fast for some of you, but it's not bad for me, especially after I've already run 9 miles.) I am also grateful that Darcy was happy with his run too and that Papa Murphy's pizza tastes so good.

Point of clarity #12 is all about water: "Drink lots of water. Then drink some more."

Good advice for sure. As I said back in my post from July 27, 2012 here, I got serious about my water consumption when I was pregnant and then breastfeeding. But after 11 years of water, water, and more water, I remain firmly convinced that it makes a big difference in my quality of life and in my overall health. This time of the year I think it helps prevent some of the cold and flu bugs from taking hold too. Of if they do strike, they tend to be less intense and shorter-lived.

Our bodies overall are about 60% water, with our brains at about 70%, and our lungs at about 90%.It shouldn't take us long to figure out how very vital H20 is to our functioning. But too many people are being pulled away from our purest form of refreshment by promises from manufactured beverages like soda and energy drinks. Drinks that can end up dehydrating more than hydrating. Not to mention the wasted calories, added sugar, high levels of caffeine, and other downfalls of any beverage other than plain water.

I am a coffee drinker so I can't preach too much, but I'm a water drinker first and foremost.

Even yesterday when we ran in below zero windchills, water was available and consumed. My body said thank you and then helped me push through those 9-minute miles. The best teacher is experience. If you don't drink much water, try it for a few weeks. Double your intake, or more. See what happens. Feel what happens. I bet you'll become a believer. (Yeah, I know. More trips to the bathroom too. But it's worth it. Life is full of trade-offs.)

I'll close today by revisiting another way to show appreciation. I practice gratitude on the run during race events by thanking the helpers who control traffic for runner safety, who hand out water for runner replenishment, who clean up after us, who provide the refreshments at the end of the run, who keep our checked bags safe and return them to us. And I thank the supportive fans who may be out there waiting for a family member or friend to come by, but who shout encouragement to all of us.

Thank you to you all!

Comments