Happy New Day!

Today I am grateful for an outdoor run with Darcy yesterday and the proper attire to keep us warm in sub-zero windchills. I am grateful for family time together, the four of us, as we did a little shopping. And I am grateful for my stepson Arthur's successful GRE.

I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year and my hope for you in 2013 is for health and happiness. But today, just today, is really what matters, and is all any of us have. There are no guarantees, regardless of our circumstances. I am not a big fan of New Year's resolutions. I think people tend to set themselves up for failure with goals that are too lofty or long-term. Another reason to stay in today. Daily resolutions are more attainable. If they work, keep doing them. And start whenever you want. The date on the calendar is just that. A date on the calendar.

Taking life in 24-hour chunks is a recurring theme in this blog. I have used the quote "Life is hard by the yard, but by the inch it's a cinch" along with other ways of saying the same thing. Here is a little more crude way of putting it, but it sure makes the point clear:

"If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you are pissing all over today."

Yesterday. What's done is done. As my buddy Jim used to say "You can't saw sawdust."

Tomorrow. Not here yet. "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him/her your plans."

Too much time lamenting past regrets or fearing future possibilities is wasted time.

I choose to put my energy in today. At least that is what I try to do. My humanness has me slipping back and stepping forward, but at least it is for shorter periods of time, which conserves most of my energy for this day.

Recovery wisdom uses one day at a time as a frequent motto. Having cancer helped me learn about priorities. But it is the experience of the calm and joy that can come from actually staying present, staying here in this moment, that has been my best teacher regarding the value of "one day at a time."

Gratitude practice is very effective at helping keep me present. I think I will keep practicing.

Have a good day!

Comments