Thankful Contemplation

Today I am grateful for a marathon baseball game and a nice cool evening in which to enjoy it. To watch a team evolve through a season is fun, especially when they are young. I am also grateful for the words "thankful contemplation."

I love these two words in combination and focus on them often as I try to practice a more grateful frame of mind. It also fits with yesterday's post about quieting the mind. The word "contemplative" has become more common as people search for that peace and quiet in a hectic world. Contemplative, according to Merriam-Webster, simply means given to contemplation. Contemplation has several definitions including:

-a concentration on spiritual things, as a form of private devotion

-considering with attention, study

-the art of regarding steadily

I like all of these definitions, but I especially like the last one; the art of regarding steadily. That is my goal with thankful contemplation. When I regard my life from a framework of gratitude it looks pretty rich and full. When I forget, it starts to look less full, more bleak.

Today I will steadily regard my many blessings. Have a nice day!

Comments