Building Bridges

Today I am grateful for a nice Father's Day for my husband yesterday. I am also grateful for good music at my fingertips on YouTube. My recent listen of choice has been "Reflections of My Life" by the Marmalade.

On Saturday we had an opportunity that I really appreciated. A new four-lane bridge is being constructed in our community, spanning the mighty Mississippi and replacing a two-lane bridge that is over 60 years old. We have lived here for 12 years and really enjoy the river views, and are excited to see the new bridge progressing. I cross this bridge on my commute to and from work. It is the busiest two-lane bridge in the state. After the tragic I-35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis in 2007, the replacement timeline for our bridge was moved up. It is well into the second year of the project and the new bridge is taking shape nicely.

Saturday we had the chance, along with dozens of other curious citizens, to hear and see some more specifics about the project, including the impressive undertaking of assembling and then moving the main span from a construction site several hundred yards to it's new home over the river. It is massive and boggles my mind how they will be able to do this, but it was fun to listen to the plan. We will continue to take in the stages of progress and hope to be driving on the new span a year from now.

The bridge discussion got me thinking about the figurative bridges that we build in our lives. Like the literal ones, they take time, plans, patience, and hard work. Gratitude can be a good bridge-builder. Recognizing the things to be grateful for in a relationship can make way for mending it or ending it.Taking time to appreciate our individual gifts and strengths can help us be kinder and gentler with ourselves.

Can gratitude help me build a bridge today?

Comments