It's About Time

Today I am grateful for the refreshing feel of cooler and less humid air this morning. I am also grateful for my ongoing relationship with time and how I understand it. 

Like our excursion over the weekend exploring local areas, last evening we stopped at a couple places that we have passed dozens of times over the last twenty years: the falls of the Cannon River in Cannon Falls and the "Dairy Inn" drive-in.

It's about time we took the time to stop. We are usually on our way to or from Iowa when we pass through, so we have other travel goals. Last night, our only agenda was to check out these places. Here is a picture of the falls:

They are minor compared to Vermillion Falls in our community and some of the other falls in the area, but they are worth the stop. Worth the time to listen and look. The ice cream at the Dairy Inn was worth it too. 

Birthdays are about time. How we got here. How we feel about the time behind us and the potential time in front of us. How we are living (or not) in the present. I turned 56 yesterday and am now in the second half of my fifties. There have been challenges, grief, healing, insights, ongoing transformation in recent years. But as I am fond of saying about birthdays--"better older than deader." As long as I agree with that statement, I will keep pursuing life.  

Writing is about time. Not always pushing myself to write, but also not always waiting for inspiration to come. The happy medium for me is that when I apply some regular discipline and some openminded flexibility, the desire to write is consistent. Knowing when to take a break is more obvious. 

I gave myself permission to write or not write on my birthday. It didn't interest me early in the day, but by midday I decided to start a list of 56 gratitudes/insights. I wrote a few. Came back to it later and wrote a few more. By evening, I had 56 and a fitting gift to myself. 

Time is on our side if we see it that way. Onward! 

Comments