Accidental Learning

WORD FOR THE DAY

Each day I move toward that which I do not understand. 
The result is a continuous accidental learning which constantly shapes my life.

Yo-Yo Ma

Gifted cellist Yo-Yo Ma shares these words with us today through A Network for Grateful Living's "Word for the Day."  The website also has a "Question of the Day" and today's is:

DAILY QUESTION, JULY 25

What happens when you allow yourself to risk stepping 
into the unknown with a grateful heart?


Sign up for these and other grateful living practices here.

Accidental learning and stepping into the unknown. Sounds a little risky to me. Or is it? Arguably, these endeavors are less risky than me trying to run the show, manage outcomes, set myself and others up with unreasonable expectations. I always fall short in numerous ways when that is my course of action.

Moving courageously and vulnerably toward that which I don't yet know or understand is an act of faith. With faith, I am never alone. Overly busy in my own head, I become isolated. 

A grateful heart and open-minded perspective allow the accidental, or not-so-accidental, lessons and grace to reveal themselves. 

In this moment, my ears caught a sound and I noticed two squirrels playfully chasing each other around a tree trunk. How can I be more playful today?  What might that feel like for so-serious Lisa?  Accidental learning has begun. The unknown is revealing itself as I watch the sun rise on this new day. 

Comments