White Feminism and BC

Today I am grateful for new writing endeavors on Instagram and for the ease of accessing clean drinking water. I take it for granted most days, but also try to be a good steward of this crucial resource. 

As I continue to process the book Me and White Supremacy, I continue to see more that I cannot unsee. White feminism was one of the readings that hit me especially hard. It is defined in the book as: feminist theories that focus on the struggles of white women without addressing distinct forms of oppression faced by ethnic minority women and women lacking other privileges

I have always considered myself a feminist, and became even a stronger one after my breast cancer experience. The pink ribbon culture and the objectifying of women and breasts didn't sit well with me then and it still doesn't now. I am particularly proud of this related writing for Nancy's Point blog titled The Sum of All My Parts.  

As I read about white feminism, I was particularly struck by how I had only viewed my breast cancer experience and advocacy through the lens of a white woman with good insurance, access to medical care and treatments, and general trust in the health care I was being provided. 

That is often not the experience for BIPOC, and it leads to worse outcomes for them when diagnosed with breast and other cancers. A few days ago, the latest issue of CURE Magazine arrived in the mail, with this cover story:



Here are some of the statistics listed:


As I wrote and researched years ago, following my own BC diagnosis, I would sometimes come across statistics like these. I noticed and moved on, not delving into the whys and how I might be able to help like I was trying to help others in the BC sisterhood.

I now understand the whys better. It starts by listening and honoring each cancer patient's story and life experience, then helping them find the care and support that is most meaningful and accessible to them. It is the work being done by organizations such as Latinas Contra Cancer

My eyes are opened in new ways yet again by reading and discussing Me and White Supremacy. I can read about cancer with a more discerning eye for racial inequities. I can look for ways to support more directly the populations that most need it when a cancer diagnosis comes.

It all matters. "I cannot dismantle what I cannot see." 



Comments