A 3 x 3 for Mornings

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the warmer weather and walks in the sunshine. I give thanks for the fruit I enjoy eating and all the people who brought them from tree or plant to the store and my grocery cart. 

I haven't done a 3 x 3 in quite awhile, so here goes. You could also call this a "gratitude multiplier."  
Writing down three gratitudes and then three reasons why I am grateful for each, I end up with a 3 x 3 > 9 scenario. Not a bad deal at all.

1. The morning quiet.
    a. It is my favorite time of day, full of opportunity.
    b. The peace and quiet ease my mind
    c. The sounds I hear bring me comfort, including our refrigerator's hum and our dog's breathing.

2.  The first breaths of fresh air as I walk our dog Oliver. 
    a. Simply being able to walk outside is a blessing.
    b. Feeling safe in my neighborhood.
    c. Looking up at whatever the sky is offering this day and feeling part of something much bigger.

3. Time to myself. As an introvert, this isn't only cherished time, it's necessary.
    a. Sitting in quiet reflection or meditation helps me focus intention for the day.
    b. Doing exercises and strength training honors my aging body.
    c. There is always some type of writing going on, and that feeds my soul.

I count twelve things on this gratitude list. It helps to get specific. My own experience has shown me this, and research backs it up. Taking time to record specific things in a gratefulness practice brings more value to the practice and deepens the appreciation for the things noted. Try it. See how you feel.

Don't have time to write, or don't really like writing? Consider simply saying your gratitude list out loud--in the car, the shower, quietly to yourself as you walk, as part of your prayers. Get a gratitude buddy and share your gratitudes with each other. 

The keys are pausing, focusing attention, and being specific. The rest takes care of itself. Practice makes progress possible. Want to feel more grateful?  Practice more gratefulness. It's not a chore, it's an opportunity. A gift of good energy to take with you for the hours ahead. 


Comments