Flowers from and for Boulder

Living gratefully today, I lean into faith to counter the fear and uncertainty that woke me this morning. I gave thanks for a breath of fresh air and some light rain as I walked our dog Oliver. It reminded me of the new life on the way with spring. 

It is hard to absorb the news of another deadly mass shooting in the United States. Ten people died at a King Soopers grocery store in Boulder, Colorado yesterday afternoon. This is less than a week after eight people died in the Atlanta area. 

The only Boulder victim known by name at this time is a police officer who was the first on the scene. His name is Eric Talley. He was the father of seven. His dad said he had been considering a career change to drone operator because it would be safer. 

Reread those last lines. Life is precious. Life is fragile. It can all change in an instant. All any of us have is today. 

I have been to Boulder a couple of times while visiting my family in other parts of northern Colorado. Most recently, a few of us were there in late June of 2019, a couple days after my sister Mary Jo's memorial service.

As we walked Pearl Street Mall that day, I took this picture, appreciating the range of colors:


These flowers are for the people of Boulder, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and all who are grieving because of gun violence. Count me in that group. Special prayers to those suffering the most horrific losses. 

Life is precious. Life is fragile. All any of us have is today. 

Comments