Let's Not Be . . . Too Hard On Ourselves

Today I am grateful for the grace of life that shows itself in many ways, starting with a pause of acknowledgement. I am grateful for recent family connections that took place in person, on the phone, in a Zoom meeting. 

Times have been unsettling and challenging for us all in recent months. I have been emotional, reactive, exhausted, and anxious alternating with resilient, faithful, grateful, and flexible. You can make your own list, but I bet we have some crossover between our lists.

I have been judgmental, put on a few pounds, procrastinated. I have isolated -- by choice, not just because of restrictions. Harsh words have come out of my mouth, usually directed at those closest to me. Selfishness looks and feels a little different in the middle of a pandemic, but throw some of that on my pile too. 

It has not been a likable and inviting set of circumstances that we find our families, communities, states, nations, and world in these days. And I have not felt very likable at times. The recovering alcoholic in me knows what it feels like to be uncomfortable in my own skin, but this is different. This is discomfort from outside as much as inside. 

Let's not be too hard on ourselves. It takes more energy to deal with all that the pandemic has brought. We will have less energy for some of the things in our daily lives. Self-care and self-forgiveness will help. 

Let's not be too hard on ourselves. Even in typical times, our perfectly imperfect ways show themselves. And these are not typical times. I can simply pause today, find my breath, and remind myself to lighten up, cut myself some slack, take a break. 

Comments