In the Little Things

Today I am grateful for a chuckle at my own mistake. I forgot to put in the coffee for our first pot of coffee and ended up with a pot of hot water. Little things. 

I opened my sock drawer yesterday morning and noticed this pair: 

I usually keep it pretty basic... but when I saw this pair the thought that popped into my head was “what the world needs now is love, sweet love.” The song is found here if you want to listen to Jackie DeShannon sing it. It just so happens that the song is from 1965, a good year in my book. 

I showed Darcy my socks, and a couple of coworkers too. It warmed my heart a little. Much of the time, though, I forgot about my socks in the busy pace of the day. I don't think my socks forgot me though. There was a little more patience. A couple more pauses. Some active listening.

Maybe it’s a trite little ditty some of the time, but not right now. It's a necessary song in a dire time. We are really in need of love. For larger causes, for common concerns, to help comfort the pervasive pain we find ourselves in. 

In the little things, a chuckle, a pair of socks, and a song, we find what we need to proceed. 

Comments