Exercising . . . Rights and Body

Today I am grateful for milder weather and that I have the right to vote as a citizen of my nation.

I have many rights as an individual living in a democracy. When I taught high school social studies classes like Government and Civics earlier in my career, we would talk about “with rights come responsibilities” and the idea “that my freedom to move my arm ends where your nose begins.” Freedom is not absolute, nor is it defined by me in a vacuum. 

I try to be a responsible and reasonable citizen and I understand the process of government to be "of the people, by the people, and for the people." When people are as divided as our nation is at this time, I have some fear and trepidation, but I also trust the process. And I will do my part. Nothing dooms us more than apathy. 

My husband Darcy and I voted by absentee ballot this year for a variety of reasons. I have always voted in person and felt good about walking into a polling place and casting my vote. The main factor leading us to choose this option this year was the possibility of being sick with COVID on election day and not being able to vote at all. We took care of our ballot weeks ago and confirmed it has been received. It will be officially counted today with thousands of others. 

I have some nervous energy today. It is a big day for the U.S.A. I exercised my right to vote to help keep our democracy healthy, just like I exercise my body to keep it healthy. Physical exercise is a good outlet for this nervous energy today. Endorphins feed the hope that has been fluctuating in recent months. 

I voted. I await the results locally and nationally. Whatever they may be, I will keep doing my part as a contributing and caring citizen. Concerned, yes. Apathetic, no. 



Comments