Retreat First

Living gratefully today, I notice the stillness of the morning and lean into it for energy. I also appreciate the many songs from John Denver that I like.

I had the opportunity to attend a writer's retreat this weekend and it was a wonderful experience. It has been something I have wanted to pursue, and things fell into place after my friend Liz suggested this one. Thanks Liz!

I joined a small community of fellow writers for the weekend, Liz being the only one I knew. It included plenty of my own time to write or do whatever I chose. It also included a couple of group times, meals shared if chosen, one-on-ones with the facilitator and a random fellow writer.

There was concentrated time to get into a flow of writing and revising, of being fully immersed. Something that doesn't happen often for me.  I thoroughly appreciated it all, and feel affirmed with fresh momentum. The trick will be to keep it building.

In each interaction with other writers, I gleaned something. There is such diversity in writing styles, in experiences, in what the writing process means to each of us. Hearing from others was a treat, whether they were sharing some of their work or the inspirations behind it. There is something sacred in that, and to be in a place of sacredness just deepened the whole adventure.

To share my writing, some of it freshly revised, and have it received with such kindness and fellowship was a true blessing. The conversation the facilitator and I shared really helped me find the anchor in these various goals I have, and at the same time begin to set sail in the direction of my first goal.

Retreat first. Retreat inward to find my writer's heart and soul, a little lost in these last years. Retreat first. To tap back into the reasons I write at all. Retreat first. Then, write on.

Comments