A Singular Place

Living gratefully today, I am noticing how tired I am and should pace myself accordingly. I am grateful for the joys of being a parent.

Yesterday was National Signing Day for high school athletes earning scholarships and committing to play a collegiate sport. Our son Sam participated at his high school, in a nice little ceremony, joined by the AD, his head coach, and a teammate also signing for a different school.

There were a good number of students and adults there to take it in, as were Darcy, Emily, and I.  Arthur planned to be there, but his family got sick. Thankfully, they are starting to feel better.

Both athletes spoke a few words as well as the AD and head coach, and then they signed, though the official paperwork had already been taken care of. I was most touched by one of their teammates who spoke at the end, when questions were welcome.

He simply wanted to thank Sam and his teammate for welcoming him to the team last year and for being so helpful to him and a good example, on and off the field. It was a genuine public acknowledgment.

Sam's high school on a February afternoon. National Signing Day and also just a day. A singular place, as described in this quote:

"May you embrace this day, not just any old day, but as this day. Your day. 
Held in trust by you, in a singular place, called now."  
Carrie Newcomer 

Newcomer is a singer, songwriter, and author. Her last name fits her quote. Each day is a newcomer.
Fresh opportunities. The only place we need to find our way through is now. If I can keep my singular focus on what is right in front of me, trust the process, Great Spirit, and myself, there is plenty to embrace.


Comments