Dear Mr. Valentine

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the love I have in my life and in my own heart. A special thank you today to my husband Darcy.

If you are paying attention to such things, you know today is Valentine's Day. It's also a Friday in February of 2020. And it's a fresh day that we each get to have. Expect less and accept more and it will likely be a good day with some joy, or at least joylets, in it.

I recently read Mary Louise Parker's book Dear Mr. You. Parker is an actress and was in one of my favorite movies--"Fried Green Tomatoes."  This was her first book, published in 2015, and it was recommended to me by a friend. She wrote letters to some of the men who had an impact on her life. Some she knew well and others left their mark in a short time. Well-written tributes to males who had made a difference, sometimes painfully, sometimes profoundly.

I aspire to getting my first book out there in my 50's, just like Mary Louise Parker did. Thank you for the good read! For now, on this Valentine's Day, I aspire to write a brief letter to my Mr. Valentine.

Dear Mr. Valentine
How could we have known the history we would end up sharing together after meeting by chance across a crowded room? How could we have known the depth and breadth of our love and commitment, the challenges we would face together, when we were in those early days of being in love? In fact, it was Valentine's Day twenty-two years ago when we first expressed that love.

It has evolved to something deeper and also messy at times, as all healthy relationships tend to be.
You have been so very tender and also so very direct. That equals genuine. 

Our story is ours. And it is also your own and my own. Our marriage is ours and ours alone. I could recount many examples of our strong bond, share some humor and some pain, talk at length about the wonderful father and grandfather you are. . . but those who need to know the details already do know. 

Good mileage has added up in this marriage. The kind covered in running shoes. Finishing three marathons side by side with you are key memories on our highlight reel, as are the many Saturday morning runs that helped us get to those finish lines. Stride by stride, day by day, we share our lives. 

And there's the mileage covered in our various vehicles and across the skies in airplanes. To visit family, to visit new places, to return to old favorites. Our family is growing and changing. We are aging and transforming. Some of life has gotten easier, some tougher.

Through it all, we have each other and I hope many more well-traveled miles and years. 

I love you Mr. Valentine. 

Comments