Zany

Today I am grateful for sweat and how it cleanses. I am not much of a crier, so my cleansing comes more from sweat. I am also grateful for work connections that remain strong over the years.

"Z" is for zany. Amusingly unconventional. Eccentric. Zany may have described some of the things some of us did under the influence of alcohol.  Maybe we got some laughs and made some memories--but they didn't stay zany in a funny way, they moved into dangerous, risky territory.

Being zany in recovery is genuinely amusing and fueled by the right things-love of self and life, recovery of health and some humility.

Among my recovery friends, I will share hearty and heartfelt laughter. Laughter let loose after being buried in pain and misery. It's music to my ears and music to my soul.

For people like me, alcoholics and addicts, it's a zany thing to be able to laugh at oneself in a loving and kind way. It feels unconventional to us at first.

We may be an eccentric bunch, different from one another in many ways, but we share the common
ground of recovery. It is such important common ground that our different jobs, social status, family situations fall away, We share some zaniness, but more importantly we support one another in the hard work of recovery.

A big thanks today to my recovery friends from over the years. Some zanier than others, all loved by me.

Comments