Time Devices

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the convenient ways of tracking time that are available to me, and more importantly the worthwhile activities with which to spend that time.

Today, there are so many easy ways to check the time. Too many probably. Phones, computers, digital clocks, microwaves and stoves, vehicle screens, and smart watches to name a few. What about the old-fashioned wall clocks and wrist watches?

The conveniences are nice, and we have numerous time-telling devices throughout our home. I find myself often checking the time, because I have somewhere to be, or I want to know how much time I have left to get various tasks done.

Am I a slave to time?  In ways, yes. I often short myself on time to get ready to go to work or elsewhere, and end up feeling rushed or running late. Worthwhile things took me longer, including writing posts here. Yet, I get pulled into things that become time-suckers. Checking email or Facebook. Clicking on that link to read a quick article or watch a video. I was cleaning this, but now noticed that needs cleaning too.

Time is valuable and finite. Sometimes I need to pause intentionally, take time to consider time, before I can reset and keep a pace that is more about living gratefully that just being production oriented. Losing track of time can be both beneficial and detrimental.

What time is it?  Why do I need to look so often? Immersing myself in what is in front of me puts meaning in those minutes. That means more than the number of minutes ever can.

Comments