Life: A Labor of Love

Living gratefully today, I notice and appreciate the way my chest rises and falls with my breathing, and how I can stretch my limbs to keep my body flexible.

With my son Sam's birthday the other day, I was remembering his actual birth day. My husband Darcy and I were talking about the evening prior and what transpired to lead us to the hospital, just a few short hours before Sam was born at 4:52 a.m.  Pregnancy labor. I only experienced it once. Yes, I have forgotten the pain, but not the amazing process that brings a child into the world. It was indeed labor, and a labor of love.

Labor. Work. Effort. Anything that is worth having and doing in life requires some. Yet, our modern world wants to sell us convenience, ease, and fast fixes. It is one of the greatest disservices and pitfalls of our current times, if you want my opinion.

A strong body requires exercise and some level of discipline in what we eat. Healthy relationships take time to build trust and respect, and take effort to keep communication flowing.  A job that yields a paycheck asks that we perform our needed tasks within some guidelines and timeframes.

Living gratefully and regular practice of gratitude don't just happen. They also take labor, trudging, striving. Together, these all comprise a life worth living: health, people we love, work that fulfills.

Life itself is a labor of love when we look at it through a lens of gratefulness. If we take too much for granted, we lose appreciation for daily gifts. If we take the easy way out instead of making the effort and doing the necessary labor, we lose out on life's best offerings.

If I make today a labor of love as I move through moments and hours, actions and interactions, the investment brings immediate returns of gratefulness and peace.

Comments