Open Heart Vulnerability

Today I am grateful that my son Sam's wisdom teeth extraction went smoothly and that his recovery is too. I am also grateful for an enjoyable dinner and movie with my husband Darcy last night.

The movie we saw was "The Upside" and it was my kind of movie. Depth and range of emotions and a hopeful ending.

Depth and range of feelings. They are the sustenance of our emotional lives, just as food and exercise nourish our bodies.

It takes an open heart and a fair measure of vulnerability to be receptive to the emotions that will flow in the midst of the vacillations that a life fully lived will deliver.

Lately, there have been numerous deaths that have been in my awareness. Two more were added in recent days. My cousin's funeral is today in another state. A kind and warm woman I used to work with many years ago died late last week. They were both within days or weeks of turning 68. My cousin shared a birthday with my dad. My former co-worker's birthday would have been today.

At 53 myself, 67 sure seems young.

Death is a given. It will happen to each of us and those we love the most. I would like to think that love is a given as well, but I know that is not always the case. In my heart, I know love of and from others. I even love this flawed and fragile, but also strong and steadfast, person I continue to evolve into.

In recent days, I have experienced this open heart vulnerability, this range and depth of emotions, in conversations with a dear friend and my dear husband, in emails shared with siblings, in talking with someone in early sobriety and in emotional pain.

It is only with trust and in allowing ourselves to be vulnerable that we can feel both the highs and lows of life. Both are inevitable, and some of our best teachers and guides.

Open heart vulnerability is where transformation comes full circle. When my heart is open and vulnerable, I sense yours is too and I treat us both with kindness and gentleness.

Comments