What can I do?

Today I am grateful for genuine friends and genuine conversations. I am also grateful for the laughter heard among recovering people. Laughter is a beautiful sound among those who have known and know much pain.

This is today's quote at gratefulness.org

"I wake up in the morning asking myself, what can I do today, how can I help the world today?"
Julia Butterfly Hill 

Julia Butterfly Hill is an environmental activist and author. I encourage you to read more about her.

For today, I focus on her words above. I wish I woke up with this thought each day. Some days I do. Other days, I wake up, or come to from a night of menopause-induced disrupted sleep, and my brain has already hit the ground running before my feet even do. 

And when that is the case, my thoughts are too often self-centered rather than considering how I can contribute to the wider world in the next hours. The good news is that a slow-down, a pause, an intentional moment of catching myself and my thoughts, and I can get on that more altruistic track.

Living gratefully, intentionally practicing gratitude, are great ways to pause and slow-down.  Gratefulness connects me to others and the world around me, allowing a more open mind and heart. In turn, that open mind and heart help me reach out with kindness and generosity to humans and non-humans as I move through my day.

What can I do? Plenty. Onward! 

Comments