Reflections of a Breast Cancer Patient

Today I am grateful for oatmeal and sweet peaches and the many people who helped bring them to me for breakfast today.

Yesterday morning, early in my run, I passed a walker I know. She has moved from our neighborhood, but she's a BC survivor like me. She was already getting treatment when I was diagnosed 10 years ago. I remember seeing her walk by our house, more slowly than now, and with a chemo cap. She's 10 years younger than I am, so was just in her early 30's at diagnosis. She and her family were also in the "Voices of Hope" DVDs.

She was walking briskly, with a healthy pace and stature yesterday, as I strode by with my own healthy pace. We exchanged greetings and a few words and then continued on. I spent much of my run reflecting on this brief interaction, on our shared and individual stories. Ten years post-diagnosis, we are healthy and spending time enjoying nature, our community, our families. We are so blessed.

My sister Mary Jo is living the day-to-day challenges and fears of a metastatic breast cancer patient. Some days are better than others. Some reports are better than others. As a cancer survivor myself, with a sister in the thick of a very serious diagnosis, how could I not be reflective?

How could I not pause and consider life a little differently than I ever did before my own diagnosis, before Mary Jo's recent diagnosis?

There are far worse things to lose than hair, or breasts. Life, sobriety/recovery, love, second and third chances. Each day I try to wake up and appreciate the many things and people in my life that I would miss. I try to cherish the blessings of today and not take them for granted. They are gifts unearned.

The chance to live today and contribute to the world is a gift. What will I do with it? What will you do with it?




Comments