Never forget . . .

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy and our support of one another across many realms of life. I am also grateful for friends who listen to me and offer support.

I am thinking of my parents today, on the anniversary of their marriage 68 years ago. They shared 48 years together before Dad died. What a family they began on August 30, 1950. Thank you for so much Mom and Dad!

Recovering alcoholics are advised to "never forget your last drunk."  You are less likely to repeat it then. Thanks to a blackout, I lost some of the memory of my last drunk, and in ways that is a blessing. But I did not lose the visceral memory of my despair, guilt, torment, utter hopelessness. I don't dwell on it, yet I recall it enough to stay motivated in recovery. There is nothing worth drinking over.

I will never forget waking up from bilateral mastectomies on December 17, 2008 and looking down at my flat chest and bandaged incisions. Feeling the new emptiness, that strange vacancy. Scars heal. My deepest appreciation is being given these days and years since that moment.

I will never forget the joys of carefree childhood days, running and playing with my siblings on the farm, family meals with all 15 of us at one table, being the "little sister."

I will never forget the love of nature I carry with me through the seasons, and the sense of belonging I feel to this world, to many special people I am sharing it with.

And I try not to forget that difficult circumstances can lead to opportunities that bring new awakenings.

I will be taking a blog break for a few days. Never forget to keep the gratitude flowing. See you next week!

Comments