20/20 and Sea to Shining Sea

Today I am grateful for safe travels for my family to various places, for a special anniversary trip, and for a washer and dryer to accommodate laundry needs from farm to beach.

Darcy and I returned to Savannah to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We were married July 30, 1998, a few months after he proposed to me in Forsyth Park in historic Savannah. We always wanted to get back there, and it only took us twenty years. It was a wonderful trip and a great way to mark 20 years.

How about 20 random memories and gratitudes to help mark our 20th:

1. Our first kiss, on the deck of my friend Terrie's house on West Lake Okoboji.
Fittingly, across the lake from where we had met a few weeks prior.
2. Our first home together, in Sioux Falls. It was Darcy's, then it was ours, then we moved. But it holds the fond memories of our first weeks and months together.
3. Our first home in our current community. We lived there 5 years and that is where Sam was a baby, and now our current home which has really fit us well.
4. Sharing the joy and anticipation of our pregnancy with Sam. It was a smooth pregnancy and full of good anticipation.
5. Marathoning....especially finishing the Kansas City Marathon side by side after my cancer diagnosis.
6. Tender moments of support from Darcy throughout my cancer journey and post mastectomy. They made such a difference, and they reassured me in just the ways I needed at the time.
7. Darcy is supportive of my sobriety and recovery, and the time I need to give to it.
8. Taking Sam to his first day of kindergarten and wondering how it got here so fast. Now, we talk about his high school graduation, just two years away.
9. After being there for me and health issues, I more recently got to return the support. We are both so blessed to be healthy overall.
10. My first ring was my wedding ring, I now wear six and four of them were surprise gifts
from Darcy.
11. Our long training run routine and helping one another stick to it.
12. Well-placed Greek restaurants on our travels over the years.
13. New experiences and old memories in a place special to us--Savannah, GA
14. We both like good food and trying new places to eat.
15. Being grandparents together. As Papa and Gigi, we love our time with Leo and Aaron.
16. Talking about our retirement and what we hope to do, and the excitement and hope for it.
17. We don't have one special "our song" but we like a lot of the same music. And hearing "I’ll Melt with You" twice within a few hours while in very hot and humid Savannah seemed fitting.
18. From sea to shining sea...Pacific Ocean last year and Atlantic this year. My sister Leonice mentioned this, otherwise it might have escaped us. Here are pictures to go with them. The first one is the Oregon Coast last July, the second one is a selfie at St. Simon's Island on the Atlantic earlier this week.


19. We forgive one another, and we learn to compromise. Key ingredients to a lasting marriage.
20. We both understand that marriage takes work, and we are willing to do it. But most importantly, it takes love and common ground. We have a solid base of both.

Happy 20th Darcy! I love you :-) 




Comments