Two Birthday Boys

Today I am grateful for my stepson Arthur and for our dog Oliver. They have both made a significant difference in my life and I thank each of them. I am also grateful for my five senses and that they are all in working order.

I am thinking of Arthur and Oliver today because it is the anniversary of their births. Arthur in 1991, Oliver in 2008. Arthur is now 23 and finishing up the first year of a rigorous master's program in dietetics and nutrition. I am proud of Arthur and how hard he works. He is driven and motivated. Sometimes I worry about how balanced his days may or may not be, but he is plugging along. I wish Arthur and I had more time to have conversations. I think we can learn a lot from each other (and enjoy the vocabulary prowess we both seem to think we have).

He and his wife Alyssa are closing in on one year of marriage already too. It gives me pause to consider what I was doing at 23. I was just starting in my chosen profession of teaching and continuing to coach, which I had been doing since I was 19. I was fairly new at being fully self-supporting; with my own car, apartment, and bills to pay. And I was still drinking. I appreciate that Arthur is more in tune to what he puts into his body than I was at 23.

And there's birthday boy #2: Oliver. He really is part of our family and we wouldn't have it any other way. He's a real charmer when it comes to me, so he had me wrapped around his paw early on. I marvel at how much I love that little guy and how much his presence in our home, our lives, and our hearts means to Darcy, Sam, and I. (Arthur puts up with Oliver when he visits. Emily has more of a soft spot for him.)

My blessings are many. The love I give and receive is plentiful. It is a good day.

Comments

  1. Arthur ValentineMay 7, 2014 at 8:37 AM

    Thank you so very much Lisa! I wish we had more time to talk as well! This year has just been so busy! Alyssa and I are so greatly appreciative of you and all of your words of wisdom and support. Thank you for being such a wonderful influence to all those around you. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arthur! Don't ever doubt that you two also offer plenty of wisdom and support to those around you. Gratitude practice is like eating right-both keep us properly fueled. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment