The Last Frickin' Thing (For Aileen)

Today I am grateful for my co-workers and their many contributions to all of us at my school, especially my retiring colleagues Mary Jo and Brad. I am also grateful for the morning's first cup of coffee.

My sister Aileen is one of my favorite writers. She doesn't hold back, pulls no punches. She doesn't mince words, she precision tunes them.Her words have a crisp clarity. She blogs with her friend Mary over at Poetic License: Poetry and Commentary on Current Events. Check out their blog here.

Aileen dedicated a recent post to me. I was flattered. Really I was. If my thoughts and actions surrounding gratitude, shared via my writing, inspires others, it is the best I can hope for. It is why this writer writes; to make a difference.

Here it is:

The Last Frickin' Thing (For Lisa)

The last frickin' thing
I wanted to do tonight
was be grateful.
But then,
out walking,
I spotted a dog
that made me smile
and the hard crust
of my day
cracked a little.

Darn gratitude works even when we are stuck in ingratitude. Even when the hard crust of our day makes us a little hard and crusty. And we all have days like that. Gratitude practice doesn't prevent the hard crust from ever developing, but I believe it keeps the crust from becoming impermeable, it keeps us softer. Plain and simple, gratitude practice works.

Even when Aileen wasn't feeling appreciative, she walked out her door, taking action. She saw with eyes that can see. Not everyone is blessed with sight.

Thank you for helping crack my hard shell too Aileen!

Comments

  1. Here's to two of my favorite writers, my sisters, Lisa and Aileen. I am proud to say that I am a follower of both your blogs! Keep up the good work ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zita! I sure appreciate that you follow my blog, and Aileen's too. Family, in all of it's forms, is certainly a key source of my inspiration :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment