Oliver's Parents

Today I am grateful for rain gear and a sense of humor for the rain gear we forgot at home as we sat getting wet at Sam's baseball game. I am grateful for my gratitude journal-the way it feels in my hands and as I write in it.

I am also grateful for our cockapoo Oliver. In recent days we have celebrated his birthday and Mother's Day. He got "frosty paw" treats for his birthday. He really enjoys those, rawhide, and pupperoni. It's fun to watch him get excited for these treats. It's just pretty much fun to watch him regardless of what he is doing.
He has his own personality and quirks, just like we do.

Since his birthday is right around Mother's Day, I often think of Oliver's parents and the gift they gave us. I wonder if, on some level, he misses his parents and siblings. But we quickly became his family. Darcy and I even refer to ourselves as "Mom" and "Dad" to Oliver. We really are like parents. We make sure he is well-cared for and that his basic needs are met. We take him to the vet when he gets an ear infection. We give him love and nurturing. And yes, he's frustrated us at times with his behavior and we've had to punish him a few times when he was naughty (which consists of putting him behind a gate for "time-out.")

Like any child, he has taught us as much or more than we are teaching him. He teaches us about patience, unconditional love, not taking ourselves too seriously, the importance of naps.

We love him dearly and we can't picture our lives without him in it. Speaking of pictures, here he is:


I guess you could say we are proud parents. I am so grateful for Oliver's presence in our lives. Do you have a pet or memories of a pet from your childhood that bring a smile to your face?

Comments