In the Hallway

Today I am grateful for the people and practices that help me "lighten my load" each day. I am also grateful for doors and windows of both the figurative and literal kind.

A co-worker shared this quote in an email recently:

"Until God opens the next door, praise Him in the hallway."  

I couldn't find who to attribute this original quote to, but there are obviously many people who like it.It was new to me when I saw it in the email. Thanks for sharing it Megan!

It reminded me of that pausing and paying attention that I often mention but also find hard to do, especially when I most need to. I am task-oriented from the minute I roll out of bed (though my husband Darcy jokingly says I catapult out of bed). I am grateful for my health, mobility, and energy level that all help me have productive days.

But productivity isn't always about getting things done, it is also about reflecting on things now done (accomplishments) and things yet to do (goals and dreams). Reflecting on lessons learned and direction in life validated.

As I think about it now, some of the most important things I have come to know about myself and this precious life I get to live and share with others were things I learned in the hallway. The door of "youthful sense of security" closed with my breast cancer diagnosis in 2008 at age 42. The hallway outside that door was sometimes dark and treacherous, but faith and support from others and my Higher Power kept enough light coming through to get me to the door of "new normal." My days in the hallway of cancer treatment and surgeries took much from me, but gave me gratitude, humility, and perspective I couldn't have found any other way.

When the door of my active drinking days closed in 1989, the hallway was brighter, clearer. But it was also a long, long hallway to the door of recovery. The cool thing about recovery is now I look forward to both doors and hallways because I know as long as I keep working on recovery, recovery will keep working on me.

Cancer and alcoholism were two big sets of doors, two complicated hallways. On a more simple note, each day offers doors and hallways. Some hallways have windows and light, others are dark and choices may seem risky. Either way, I try to have faith and do the next right thing. Things seem to work out. Not always the way I would have thought, but they work out. Life is like that. It works out each day.

Comments