Clean Sheets

Today I am grateful for clean sheets, a washer and dryer to clean them in, and beds to put them on. I am also grateful for what others teach me about ongoing recovery from alcoholism.

This morning I am also grateful for the opportunity I had last evening to speak to a group of young people about alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. Really, it was about making healthy choices, having healthy outlets, and what to do when concerned for a friend or family member. I hope I gave them some useful information. I know I gained more gratitude for being here, for having survived my own period of alcohol abuse.

Back to those clean sheets. It is usually on our weekend to-do list to wash the sheets and make the beds. It usually falls to me, but I don't mind. It is a task I have been doing since I was old enough to help as a kid. We make our beds every morning, but there's something refreshing about clean sheets, tight corners, and the smell of freshness. After a full day, it is nice to get into bed with that kind of a welcome.

When I was growing up, I recall my mom having a system. We did laundry on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Different rooms got their sheets washed on different days. We hung the sheets outside on our clotheslines for as much of the year as we could. You can't beat the smell and feel of sheets dried in the fresh outdoor air. No fabric softener will ever be able to replicate that.

Another pleasant memory I have regarding clean sheets has to do with my son Sam. When he was little, he would "help" me make the beds. He especially liked to crawl under the pile of blankets on the floor and hide from me. It was our fun little game and it always brought smiles and laughter.

A bed with clean sheets and some pleasant memories to go along with them. Life is good. Have a nice day!

Comments