A Toothache Revisited

Today I am grateful for the relatively comfortable root canal procedure I had yesterday. I am grateful for my dentist, the assistant, and modern technology.

I am grateful, but it doesn't mean I enjoyed it all that much. I'm just glad it's done. There was a lot of drilling, filing, and digging around in the affected tooth. At least that's what I think was going on judging by the instruments and such that were going in and out of my mouth. I was good and numb and felt no pain, other than a sore jaw at times. For that, I am truly grateful.

This tooth started bothering me last November. I blogged about it in a post titled "Perspective via a Toothache." You can read that post here. It really has only been a minor nuisance since then, but it was only a matter of time before it would need to be dealt with. It's easier to get a root canal done before it gets to that point of  "you can't wait any longer." It was sensitive at times, a little tender in my jaw at times. That's it.

Do you have any sensitive areas in your life, any tender spots, that you should address sooner rather than later? Avoidance and denial aren't even good band-aids. They seem to accelerate the decline and heighten the pain. I guess there's gratitude to be found in being able to address a situation while it's still salvageable.

Even when the novocaine wore off, the discomfort was minimal. Taking care of a problem in a timely manner does have advantages.

I know I am making random connections today, but these are the thoughts coming to my mind. One final thought as I wrap up this post on my root canal experience is that I am grateful for the roots, the anchors I have in my life. Roots and anchors like my husband, my family, my siblings, my recovery connections, my friends, my Higher Power.



Comments