Head, Heart, Hands, Health

Today I am grateful for the very nice weather we enjoyed at our county fair and on a local restaurant patio yesterday. The former offered a cooling breeze after working in the 4-H diner, and the latter afforded a great view of our picturesque community.

Head. Hearts. Hands. Health. Do these sound familiar? If you were ever in 4-H they likely do. They are the four "H"s of 4-H. I appreciate the experiences Sam has had since joining 4-H five years ago.I am proud of his effort on his projects this year. He did a self-determined project on the Battle of Iwo Jima, two photography entries (Lincoln in Springfield and a flag pole on the campus of UNI), and a shooting sports/wildlife management one on pheasants. He earned three blue ribbons and one red. They were his ideas and his creations. Good job Sam!

I also appreciate the working experience Darcy and I had in the 4-H diner, and the fellow
4-H parents and staff we were working with. We learned as we went along and we ended up being a well-functioning team. We were glad to be done with our shift though. It is part of our commitment as 4-H parents to help out at the diner. I can't say I look forward to it, but I can say that I am grateful for the change of pace and the opportunity to be of service.

Now, back to those four "H"s.  Here is the 4-H pledge:

I pledge my head to clearer thinking
my heart to greater loyalty,
my hands to larger service, and
my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country and my world.

Sounds like a pledge we can all aspire to, 4-H member or not. Clearer thinking. Greater loyalty. Larger service. Better living. What is there to argue with? 

When I focus my thoughts on gratitude, I more clearly see my good fortune. When I focus my heart on what I love in others, the love in my heart grows. When I try to be of service to others, I always learn from it. When I make my overall health a priority, I make better choices.

Thanks for the wisdom 4-H!

Comments