Bib Overalls and Farm Toys

Today I am grateful for a good cup of coffee and for the women in my breast cancer support group.

I am also grateful for bib overalls and farm toys. Yesterday, a co-worker and I had a brief chat about bib overalls. I shared that my dad always wore striped bib overalls when he was farming (which was most of the time). She shared that she liked the extra pockets available in overalls. That reminded me of one of my dad's favorite games with his grandkids. If they were sitting on his lap and he had his bibs on, he would joke with them that there was a mouse in the front pocket. I recall more laughter than fear from the grandkids. The overalls and the mouse make me smile as I remember my dad.

Sadly, my son Sam never got to meet my dad, never got to sit on his lap, never got to talk about farm stuff with him. They would have enjoyed their time together, I have no doubt. So I have tried to share stories and memories about my dad with Sam, and from an early age he took a strong interest in farming and farm toys. He had farm videos, an extensive collection of farm toys, and was (and still is) always excited when we go to the farm.

He now has little cousins who are into tractors and other farm toys. I suggested to Sam that he go through his toys and consider what he would give away to his cousins. Most of his farm stuff is packed away now, though he used to spend hours and hours playing and creating various farm scenes on the floor of his bedroom. So last night he was going through a couple of totes. He's like his mother-a sentimental saver. He has a nice-sized box started for his cousins, but there's plenty he wants to keep as well. Maybe someday his child will play with his collection.

I could tell he was enjoying going through his things. I am grateful he has those fond memories.I am grateful he has always been interested in the farm life, as both Darcy and I grew up on farms.

Overalls and toys. Pleasant memories shared.

Comments

  1. You had really good memories. I also have too. Now my kids play with John Deere Farm Toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm life was hard work for us all, but a good teacher as well. It was stressful for my parents I am sure, but I am so grateful for the legacy of farming in my family. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. True that...Agree with you. I will be in touch will your blog....

      Delete
  2. Having a great time reading your blog post. you know what your readers want. Keep posting. I also brought Farm Toys Collection for my kid he liked it alot..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Shellie and I am glad you enjoy my posts. I haven't run out of ideas yet. My son is 12 now and has moved on from his farm toys some, but he sure doesn't want to part with them. We have more than one tote full of them. I'm okay with that :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment