Treacherous Swamp

Today I am grateful for my job and the new people I will meet, get to know, and work with this school year. I am also grateful for doctors with a sense of humor.

Sunday's post quoted from p. 100 of Anne Lamott's book Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers.  Further down on that same page, Lamott writes:

"More than anything, prayer helps me get my sense of humor back. It brings me back to my heart, from the treacherous swamp of my mind."

This is what I call a zinger, and Lamott is so good at delivering them throughout her books. Prayer as a way out of ourselves. Prayer as a ticket back to some level of sanity. My mind can become a treacherous swamp when I go down the paths of worry, anger, fear, regrets, impatience. I get stuck in taking myself and life way too seriously. At times like that, my mind seems to be disconnected from my heart and soul, which means I have also crowded out faith.

But I can pause and pray. I can get on my knees if I choose because it humbles me and puts me in a better place for prayer. I can pray for others who are facing current challenges. I can pray to make the most of today, just today.

It's like finding solid footing in that treacherous swamp so I can finally make my way back out.

Comments