It IS the little things

Today I am grateful for the opportunity to serve others in a simple way-helping provide a meal. I am also grateful I have learned that it truly IS the little things in life that bring joy on a regular basis.

Some of those little things I encountered throughout my day yesterday included:

*cleaning salt and pepper shakers grubby with the fingerprints of my loved ones
*cleaning our toaster and the accompanying crumbs and becoming mindful that we have so much more than crumbs
*freshly cleaned water and food bowls for our dog Oliver, because we love him
*the smell of coffee brewing, knowing Darcy likes the way I make it
*Oliver tearing around the house after his bath
*the sanctity of a church service, whether in English or Spanish
*smiles that carry meaning, no words necessary, no language barrier present
*enjoying seeing new countryside I hadn't seen before
*saying no to overbooking myself

It's that last one that probably had the biggest impact on my day, and laid the groundwork for the mindfulness that had me calm and noticing the gifts I was surrounded with. Yesterday morning I had too many things to do and not enough time to do them all. A theme too often familiar in my life. I made a decision to say "no" to one thing on my list and almost instantly I became less frazzled and started paying more attention. I can't do it all. Nor should I. Just show up Lisa. Just show up.

It made for a nice day, nice pace, nice presence. 

Comments