Running Into the Sun

Today I am grateful for safe travels and time with my family in Iowa. I am also grateful for fresh garden produce and the variety of sights I saw in the last few days.

I also very much appreciate the car conversation my son Sam and I had on our trip.

Those various sights included an early morning run yesterday. I left Mom's house and headed into town around 6:00 a.m. The sun was starting to come up. About a mile down the road, there's a curve that turns to the east. The sunrise I had been enjoying peripherally was now full on "running into the sun."

It was bright. Almost too bright. But I adjusted and appreciated the sun coming across open fields, corn rows, the road I was running on. It's a treat to see the sun rise in farm country.

It was a sharp contrast from the prior morning. Thick fog hid the sunrise and most of the countryside for several hours after the sun came up. It was a bit surreal and atypical for a morning in August. On the one hand, I felt insulated by the fog. On the other hand, it was isolating. Eventually, the fog lifted and the short view was replaced by a longer view. A low gray was replaced by blue skies.

Like the sun lights the way, so can gratitude. Like fog lifts and makes way for a new view, gratitude can provide a fresh perspective. Small acts of gratitude practice can lead to light and hope. Try some today.

Comments